Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Acting like an idiot because the tiger wants me to…

Yes, I have bought Kinect. I already love it, though we got off on the wrong foot. I plugged in Johny 5’s head… or Wall-E’s for the later generations, because that’s what it kind of looks like (especially when it’s gaze is following you around the room, and I switched on my X-box, which immediately demanded an update. After agreeing with it, downloading started… and stopped… giving me an error code apparently Microsoft themselves hadn’t heard of. Off course after not downloading the update, the setup starts anyway, but since it had left Wall-E blind I was standing in my living room for 5 minutes till I thought; “Maybe something’s wrong?”… burning my delicious pizza to a crisp in the process… which I ate anyway.

After about an hour and a half the only thing I could think of was emptying up some memory space, since every time I googled “Why the FUCK doesn’t Kinect see me?” (I first tried asking why Johny Five or Wall-E didn’t want to see me but that didn’t help) I found comments on memory issues. And woppah! It worked and I got to play. First I played Kinect Adventures a bit, which is kind of cool in a “Look I’m better than Wii” sort of way. And then I played Kinectimals… which I am ashamed to say is so cute I couldn’t look away, couldn’t stop. I was home alone so nobody saw me; playing dead (lying down on the floor…no cheating, you have to lie down flat on the floor), star jumping, sitting and spinning around in front off my TV, because my tiger and an annoying flying imp thingy wanted me to. But man, it was fun.

In a slightly cluttered living room, with a difficult angle for the cam to work with, I was quite impressed with how well it actually worked. It’s like Wii but much better, much more responsive and much more intuitive. I truly believe that it has a lot of interesting possibilities, I can’t wait to see what games and apps Microsoft can come up with. I only hope that they will keep supporting it, since previous efforts like the eye-toy with Sony eventually failed to entertain the masses.

No comments:

Post a Comment